Chase Manhattan Gordon Bunshaft Building
(Former) Manufacturers Hanover Trust Company Building
510 Fifth Ave.
Northwest Corner of 43rd Street
Architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Developer: The Manufacturers Trust Company
At the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 43rd Street stands the former Manufacturers Trust Co. branch, now JPMorgan Chase, from 1954. Designed by Gordon Bunshaft, it was Fifth Avenue's first glass edifice.
Clear structural composition and carefully designed details characterize this pristine modernist building. The unobstructed view of the vault door and banking rooms from Fifth Avenue indicated a new trend in bank design at the time of the project's completion in 1954. The building was designated a New York City Landmark in 1997.